Name:
Location: Missouri, United States

(1960- ) American writer, humorist, and biblical scholar.

Tuesday, August 15, 2006

A Flanking Manuever

Apparently, Mr. Grey felt Revel's response did not deserve deletion:

No, Alan, I am not saying everyone else is deluded. But after reading your post, I can pretty much deduce that you are. Nice job of twisting around valid points with that trademark flair of the evangelical.

You quote one site "Beyond Marriage" as the basis for what the "true reformation of marriage is about." That's pretty weak, but then again, typical of the evangelical right. Like I said in my post, I don't believe your fringe element speaks for all of Christianity any more than that site speaks for what all gay people want out of marriage.

And do I believe I can do everything I want? Of course not, and that kind of argument leads me to believe that you are the childish one here. Scary to trust we might be using our own consciences instead of your Bible thumping rhetoric isn't it?

If you have to latch on to either one of us being "anti" something, we are "ant-right wing evangelical", because I will reiterate again, IMHO it has very very little to do with the teaching of Jesus Christ. You can disagree, that's fine. This, to me, was not going to be an ongoing dialogue. The basis for the discussion isn't likely to ever be agreed on.

I give you major props, though, on tutoring those would read your post on Daniel being passive aggressive while delivering passive aggressive in master strokes.

Again, I applaud you. That is an art form in itself.
# posted by RevelKC2 : 11/8/06 10:06 PM

Continue

1 Comments:

Blogger Kat B. said...

Alan's blog reply to this was:

Revel,
Thanks for at least providing a somewhat dialoguing reply. Although you don't exactly tell me what I am deluded about.

There are plenty of other resources out there about destroying the traditional family and marriage. It has been a push for decades, and if you read Marcuse, Kurtz, Dewey, and many others you would understand that. The pushes for polygamy that are already going on around the world also give good indication this is the case.

As to conscience, well, humans are great at rationalization. Right and wrong is right and wrong, regardless of how we feel about it. History is replete of people who felt they were doing the 'right' thing. Simply feeling that something is okay to do is a somewhat shaky foundation.

I often wonder when people say the "right-wing evangelical church has very little to do with the teaching of Jesus Christ". Jesus taught in Matthew 5:17-19 "Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. Anyone who breaks one of the least of these commandments and teaches others to do the same will be called least in the kingdom of heaven."

You see, Jesus always supported the old testament law. The same law that condemns homosexual acts, adultery, lying, stealing and any number of other things. Jesus also told us to love one another. You choose to ignore the first and accept the second. True Christianity is not to be gained by picking and choosing which of Jesus' teachings are to be followed.

Kind Regards
Alan
# posted by Alan Grey : 12/8/06 11:36 AM

8/15/2006 9:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home